Sunday, February 7, 2016

Brothers McMonagle Article

We missed posting a Daily Item article published before the Elk Toss about the Brothers McMonagle.

Full text below.


Brothers, brews and banjos on tap at Old Forge Brewery

“Every musician plays best when it’s a gig they’re truly looking forward to. I am really looking forward to Saturday night in Danville with the Brothers McMonagle at Old Forge Brewing Company,” said Van Wagner, local musician and songwriter.
“My set will be all original songs about the Danville area. I’m also really excited to hear the songs the McMonagles choose to play.”
Based in the Lancaster area, the Brothers McMonagle, consisting of Joey and Mike McMonagles, will perform a musical mashup of Americana and folk music with a slight infusion of old school rock.
“Joey and I will both be playing acoustic guitars and we are both singing,” Mike said. “I’ll be adding some harmonica to that mix as well. Additionally, we’re both moderately proficient on electric guitar, bass and banjo, too.”
The brothers have become the band in demand around the Lancaster area, attracting crowds yearning to hear spirited music performed by musicians that create more than a show, they create a musical experience.
“I think I can speak for Joey, too, in saying that the songs we write are honest. They come from us in a truly authentic way. I’ve never been able to write a song just to write one. They are reactionary, they are inspired, they are often times just our way of processing a thing or event or situation and making sense of it,” Mike said. “I like to think that I write songs because I genuinely have something to say, you know?
“If not, I’m just wasting the time of anyone who has made an effort to listen. It’s an honor to have an audience, to have people invest their time in your expression of art.”
Mike noted that it may sound like a cliche but there are moments when the brothers spontaneously add a guitar lick or vocal harmony at the exact same time and in the exact same way.
In addition to sharing the stage with Wagner, the Brothers McMonagle will also share the spotlight and the kudos.
“Van Wagner is one of the best songwriters I’ve been honored to meet and call a friend,” Mike said. “ Any opportunity to hear Van is a treasure.”
Saturday’s show is a return visit for the Brothers McMonagle and Wagner.
“I write songs about the Susquehanna River, the Appalachian Mountains and the people who live here, however, my guitar and banjo do a lot of the talking,” Wagner said. “I am a lucky man to live where I live, when I live. My songs are a snapshot in time — a slice of life for what goes on and what has gone on around these mountains.”
When asked why someone should attend the Old Forge gig, Mike provided several interesting reasons:
“Because it’s Saturday night and a little live music is all it takes to shake loose and have you a good time. Because Joey and I are respectful, we make eye contact when we talk to you, we have firm hand shakes and hold doors open for people. We say thank you and please and do our best not to curse in public.”

No comments: